A man is due to appear before magistrates in connection with a reported rape in Weymouth following what police have described as a detailed and extensive investigation.
Dorset Police confirmed they received a report at 10.37pm on Sunday, 18 February 2024, expressing concern for the welfare of a woman in the Park District area of the town. Officers were dispatched to the scene and located a woman in her 20s who subsequently alleged that she had been raped earlier that evening.
According to police, the incident is reported to have taken place between approximately 9.15pm and 9.30pm in an alleyway serving the area around Stanley Street, Derby Street and Queen Street. The woman told officers she had been attacked by a man during that time.
A 63-year-old man from Weymouth was arrested in connection with the allegation. Police confirmed he is a British national who describes himself as being of white British ethnicity. Following what investigators said were extensive enquiries led by the Major Crime Investigation Team (MCIT), the man has now been issued with a postal requisition.
He is scheduled to appear at Weymouth Magistrates’ Court on Friday 20 February 2026 charged with one count of rape.
Detectives emphasised that the investigation has been thorough and that specialist officers have continued to support the complainant throughout the process. The case will now proceed through the courts.
Detective Inspector Shaun Inkpen, of MCIT, said: “We have continued to provide support to the victim and keep her fully updated throughout our detailed investigation.
“This matter will be subject to active court proceedings, and it is vital that the justice process is allowed to follow its course. We would therefore urge members of the public to refrain from speculation or commentary relating to this case, particularly online and on social media.”
Police warnings about online commentary reflect the strict rules surrounding active criminal proceedings in England and Wales. Once a suspect has been charged, public discussion that could prejudice a trial may amount to contempt of court. Officers are therefore urging restraint to ensure a fair hearing can take place.
The alleged offence dates back to February 2024, meaning the case has taken nearly two years to reach the stage of a court appearance. Investigations into serious sexual offences often involve detailed forensic analysis, digital examination and the gathering of witness statements, which can contribute to lengthy enquiries.
Dorset Police have not released further details about the circumstances surrounding the allegation. As with all criminal cases, the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in court.
Support services remain available for anyone affected by sexual violence. Police continue to encourage victims to come forward, assuring them that reports will be taken seriously and investigated thoroughly.
The case is due to be heard later this week, when magistrates will consider the charge and determine the next steps in the judicial process.






