Get to the school prom safely

The school prom season is approaching so if you are hiring transport, please remember to check it is properly licensed.

Any vehicles advertised for hire with a driver should be appropriately licensed with the local authority from where they operate or the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

That is the message from Weymouth & Portland Borough Council, West Dorset District Council and North Dorset District Council.

Vehicles offered for hire which are not legally licensed to carry passengers will not be covered by the appropriate insurance. Vehicles used solely for weddings and funerals are exempt from licensing.  However, if they are offered for hire for any other purpose, such as school proms, then they do need to be licensed.

If you are unsure whether a driver or vehicle is appropriately licensed, you can check with the council in the area where the vehicle is offered for hire.

If you are in Weymouth and Portland, West Dorset or North Dorset, you can contact the Licensing Department on 01305 838028   or email: [email protected].