A greener economy can be a fairer economy too, says the TUC South West
· The trade unions federation also publishes a Just Transition roadmap to a climate-safe economy
Today, (Monday) TUC South West, representing the 48 trade unions present in the region, has declared a climate emergency. The wants to see trade unions at the heart of every workplace discussion about how to transform our economy.
The TUC have also launched a roadmap – A just transition to a greener, fairer economy – that meets the needs of working people in the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The TUC roadmap sets out the need for:
1. A Just Transition Commission: a cross-party national commission including business, consumers and unions to plan a clear and funded path to a low-carbon economy.
2. Workplace Transition Agreements: to put workers’ voices at the heart of transition plans in every workplace where change is required.
3. Transition skills funding: so that every worker has access to training in the new skills needed for a low carbon economy, and guaranteed pathways to new work.
4. Employment standard protections: to ensure new jobs in the low carbon economy are not of lower quality than jobs that are changed or superseded.
Speaking on the announcement, Regional Secretary of the TUC South West Nigel Costley said:
“Trade unions are committed to addressing the climate emergency. A greener economy can be a fairer economy too, with new work opportunities and better jobs right across the South West.”
“It’s vital that we avoid the repeated mistakes seen in the last century, when industrial change devastated communities because workers had no say. From the Cornish mines to the Honda factory closure, we need a plan that everyone can get behind, with workers’ voices at the heart of it.”
“That’s why we’re calling for politicians, businesses, consumers and unions to make those plans together.”
– Just Transition roadmap: The full document A just transition to a greener, fairer economy can be found here https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/A_Just_Transition_To_A_Greener_Fairer_Economy.pdf
– International commitment to Just Transition: The Paris Agreement of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change included a commitment to a ‘just transition of the workforce and the creation of decent work and quality jobs’. As of May 2019, the agreement has been signed by 194 states including the UK.
– About the Trades Union Congress (TUC): exists to make the working world a better place for everyone. We bring together more than 5.5 million working people who make up our 48 member unions. We support unions to grow and thrive, and we stand up for everyone who works for a living.
– Congress 2019: The TUC’s annual Congress will be held in the Brighton Centre from Sunday 8 September to Wednesday 11 September. Free media passes can be obtained by visiting www.tuc.org.uk/applying-media-or-external-visitor-credentials and completing an online form. Applications must be in by noon on Tuesday 27 August. Any received later than that will be processed in Brighton and will cost £75 +VAT.